The TSA has some tips
for traveling with your rig that will expedite your air travel to the convention.
The World Free Fall Convention will be held at the Rantoul National Aviation Center, 1011 Pacesetter Drive, Rantoul, Illinois.
Rantoul Illinois is Northeast of Champaign, Illinois on Routes 45 and 136 about 4 miles from the Intersection of 57 and 136
To get to the Rantoul National Aviation Center ( the former Chanute Airforce Base)
- From St. Louis and points West: Take 270 East to 70 East travel to Effingham, Il turn North on 57 go to 136 turn East
- From Chicago OHare Airport; Leave OHare on 190 East, go to 294 South (Tollway) Continue on 294 to 80 West Take 80 West for 4 miles to 57 South, go to 136 turn East (about 4 miles to Rantoul)
- From Indianapolis and Points East: Take 74 West to Champaign/Urbana, then take 45 North to Rantoul (about 13 miles)
- From Peoria and Points Northwest: Take 74 to 136 turn East (about 33 miles on 136 to Rantoul)
- From Quincy: take 172 South to 72 East go to 57. Take 57 North to 136 turn East on 136 (about 4 miles to Rantoul)
We'll see you there!
Click here for a Map to Rantoul or Maps.ask.com
Mention customer numer 62C0913
Amtrack offers a 10% discount off the lowest available fare to (Rantoul, IL) between July 18, 2006 - August 2, 2006. To book your reservation call Amtrak at 1 (800) 872-7245 or contact your local travel agent. Please refer to Convention Fare Code X57K-962 when making your reservation. Conventions cannot be booked via Internet. This offer is not valid on Auto Train. Offer valid with Sleepers, Business Class or First Class seats with payment of the full applicable accommodation charges. Fare is valid on Metroliner and Accela service for all departures seven days a week, except for holiday blackouts.
Flying Your Plane To Rantoul? Elliot Field FBO info
There will be plenty of parking available again this year if you are planning to fly to the World Free Fall Convention. Please bring your own tie-downs. The parking area will be adjacent to the diagonal taxiway between the approach end of runways 9 and 36.
You will not be able to park on the FBO ramp. You will be able to request fuel from PRECISION Unicom on 123.0.
There will be a TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) in effect during the convention. Be sure to check all applicable NOTAMS, PPR's (Prior Permission Requests) can be made by calling the Air Boss at 314.971.4845. Just call us before you depart for Rantoul and we will give you the secret password. All arrivals will need to contact Champaign Approach Control. Say the secret word and they will know that you have coordinated your arrival with the Air Boss.
There is not a control tower at Rantoul, only a traffic advisory service. Therefore there will be no clearances issued. As traffic and wind conditions permit, you can expect Champaign to vector you to a point about 5 miles north of the airport for a long straight-in to runway 18. We will be pointing you out to the skydive aircraft and they will know to follow you at a safe distance. If air traffic at your planned arrival time is just too busy, we may ask you to hold in VFR conditions clear of the TFR area. Please plan your fuel accordingly. There may be delays. And above all, if at any time you are asked to do something you are not absolutely, 100% comfortable with, tell us! We are all committed to making your flight to the World Free Fall Convention a pleasant and safe experience.
Have a safe flight!
WFFC Suggested Hotels
Visitors Guide to Champaign County, IL
Park Inn, Urbana, IL
Suites, Champaign, IL
Western Heritage Inn, Rantoul, IL
Historic Lincoln Hotel, Urbana, IL
Call 1-217-384-8800 direct for best rate. Ask for WFFC rate.
Eastland Suites Urbana & Bloomington, IL 800-253-8331
Microtel Inn Champaign, IL 217.398.4136
Call direct and mention WFFC for discount rate.
Fly into Champaign (CMI)
on one of several air carriers that fly in throught the day including American, Delta Connection, Northwest Airlines.
From CMI, Rantoul is a 20 minute drive.
Directions From Willard Airport(CMI) (actually in beautiful Savoy, IL) to Rantoul:
1. Take Airport Road east to US 45 (45 is the road you will run into immediately after leaving the airport). Turn right (southbound) onto 45.
2. Go about a mile to CR 18, and turn right (westbound). CR 18 is the first possible right turn, it runs along the southern edge of the airport property.
3. In another mile or two, take the ramp to I-57 northbound. 57 goes all the way to Rantoul.
Click here for a Map to Rantoul